Re: DPL blindsides

I'm sure people unfamiliar with this situation are  horribly confused by
this point.

As DPL, I think I have a duty to try and give the electorate enough
information to evaluate situations like this while retaining privacy and
neutrality.

I'm going to try and do so.

My understanding is that  in early 2017, some rather public and
concerning accusations were made.
As DebConf17 approached, the DebConf local team made a decision that
Teemu disagreed with and protested.

For a while, the Debconf team failed to respond to Teemu's protest.  The
DPL at the time escalated and asked for them to respond.  They did,
declining to engage in a discussion because of the sensitive nature of
the situation, but pointed Teemu at another team in Debian.

Jonathan was copied at least on the mail where the local team declined
to engage further, but I suspect that was in his role as a DebConf
Committee Member.
According to Jonathan's mail here he was not involved in the decision in
question.
Moreover, according to mail from another DebConf committee member, the
decision is one that the local team took without involving the  DCC as a
whole.  All evidence I have supports Jonathan and the DCC's claim that
they were not involved.
However, I have not explored exactly who did make the decision.

The DCC wishes that they had been involved earlier in the process.
I'll note that this is the kind of decision that is often taken in a
very small group, and I think it would be reasonable either to involve
or not to involve the DCC at the choice of the local team.
(I suspect some DCC members will disagree with me).

Around the time Teemu  brought up this issue on debian-vote, he sent
mail to the current project leader as well as people involved in the
previous exchange, asking for help deescalating the situation.
His proposal for how to do that seemed like it was going to be an
escalation rather than a deescalation.  I responded with an alternative,
describing  the situation under which I thought it made sense to go
forward and describing what a deescalation might look like.

I have received no mail sense then.

--Sam