Re: Proposal: General Resolution on Init Systems and systemd Facilities

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 9:13 PM Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> writes:

> I would like to see an additional option to leave current policy
> unchanged.  Obviously if I am alone in wanting this option, please
> disregardt.

What does that mean to you?  I ask because Policy is a little incoherent
and a lot incomplete.

Are you specifically looking for an option that says that packages that
support systemd are required to support sysvinit and that it's an RC bug
if they don't?

Yes. That was my understanding of the tortured consensus from a few years ago. Paraphrasing.. "Yes, we'll pick a sane default, but don't worry, We won't be removing support for other systems."

-Brian