Re: More women in key positions ?

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Charles Plessy wrote:
> If the discussion here would be about reforming the TC, I would
> propose that the nominations should be public, just as for the DPL
> election.

I have no problem with people nominating themselves publicly, but I
don't want to require public nominations. DPL nominees have to be public
because the DPL is elected by the project at large.

> However, the topic here is the DPL election, hence my question is
> focused on what the DPL can do, and one possible action is to use the
> appointment process to push for more women in the TC.

My point is that the appointment process is not the appropriate lever to
use, and a candidate who planned to use it as a lever would rank lower
for me.[1]

The underlying problem of unequal representation in Debian is a serious
issue. But before reaching for this as a solution, someone should
probably ask people why they did not want to serve on the TC.[2]

1: Of course, if the TC was overlooking nominees on the basis of their
gender or other non-relevant factors, then the DPL would be within their
rights to request the TC reconsider the slate.

2: Admittedly, I've been meaning to ask people about this myself, but
haven't had time.

Fate and Temperament are two words for one and the same concept.
 -- Novalis [Hermann Hesse _Demian_]