Re: The Debian Maintainers GR

On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:38:18AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > And, BTW, the buildd admins of the experimental buildds are in touch
> > with the buildd admins of the unstable buildds - and I discussed that
> > matter with Ryan and James before setting up the first buildds. Now you
> > might see the difference: Because in the buildd case, it makes sense to
> > distribute the load on more shoulders (and btw, it doesn't buy real
> > advantages to force the same people handling unstable to also care about
> > experimental).
>
> Agreed it makes sense to distribute the load on more shoulders. It doesn't
> make sense to do it on non .d.o machines and it doesn't make sense to have
> two wanna-build instances.

It might help if you knew how wanna-build and buildd worked.

Since experimental building requires a few patches to sbuild, it doesn't
make much sense to experimental autobuilding on hosts that also do
unstable autobuilding. It might make sense to make that second host a
d.o machine, too, but it doesn't matter all that much IMO.

Since wanna-build requires a separate database for each and every
distribution it tracks, (e.g., wanna-build.d.o has a database for
oldstable, oldstable-security, stable, stable-security, testing, and
unstable for each architecture it tracks) it doesn't matter much whether
you run it on buildd.d.o or on another host -- you need a second
instance anyway.

[...]

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22