Re: calling firmware code data is not being honest with ourselves, includes counterproposal and RFC on a possible Amendment

sven.luther@wanadoo.fr wrote:

>> This is FUD.  Nothing in this proposal says that we will ignore licenses
>> when distributing firmware or any other works.
>Maybe, but you take the first step toward this, so when will you stop ? Also,
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/slippery-slope.html
HTH.

>there are currently stuff in non-free, or even which was rejected in non-free,
>which could arguably be using the same kind of permissibility as the firmware
>code, like the miboot apple copyrighted boot sector, which is only 256 bytes
The only way you can argue this is by not understanding the proposed GR:
a boot sector is not firmware since it's loaded from a disk to run on
the same CPU which will later run the OS.

(Not that I would have any objections to shipping it in main, since this
would help and not hinder the cause of free software.)

--
ciao,
Marco