Robonson wins; Debian v monotonicity (was Re: Some analysis of DPL 2003 results

This is a lengthy argument against the current Debian problem of
wrongly rejecting Mr Branden Robinson who would almost certainly be
the winner if the method of the last election was maximally proportional
(and passing P2) and monotonic. I.e. the method then is almost the
smallest adjustment that 'debugs' the unfair Alternative Vote method.

Below I suggest a replacement for the Debian Condorcet voting system,

In this election a monotonic method passing my P2 would make the winners
be one of these sets: {}, {A}, {A,B}, {A,B,C}

>3 ABC
>2 CAB
>2 BCA

For the 1 case, B and C lose since under the 1/3 quota. then

At 2003\04\20 02:29 -0700 Sunday, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Being the election methods geek that I am, I decided to do some analysis
>of the last DPL election.  I've posted the results of this here:
>
>http://electorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32
>
>I ran through a few scenarios using Instant Runoff Voting to tally the

Both Robs use the same noun phrase.

>votes instead of using Condorcet.  The result depended on whether tied
>ballots are allowed.  Allowing for tied ballots (and improvising a way
>to deal with them), Martin Michlmayr still wins the election.  However,
>strictly following the rules that were just enacted in San Francisco for
>future mayorial elections, Branden Robinson would have won.
>
>At any rate, I'm not trying to kick up any dust or call the legitimate
>results into question.  My take is that the analysis seem to further
>legitimize the results.

Well, that is a big error: the winner was incorrect.
The San Francisco method is not the best.

(I agree that the Alternative Vote finds Mr Martin Michlmayr to be the
winner.)

At 03\04\20 13:27 -0400 Sunday, David Z Maze wrote:
>David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 02:29:16AM -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>> http://electorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32
>>
>> Interesting reading, although I don't know what I should make out of
>> this sentence:
>>
>> "What complicates this is that the ballot allows for multiple first
>> choices. Relatively few Debian developers did this though (453 of the
>> 488 total votes)."
>
>I think you missed a sentence; my reading of the relevant paragraph is
>"relatively few developers had multiple first-choice votes; thus,
>Table 1 has the 453/488 votes with only one first-choice vote."

The ties can be easily dealt with by smudging the weight of the paper out
over the permutations that would eliminate a tie of the preferences.

E.g.

  Candidate: ABCDE
  Rank.....: 1222-

  Paper = (1/4)( (ABCD)+(ABDC)+(ACBD)+(ACDB)+(ADBC)+(ADCB) )

It seems to make no difference if plain Condorcet is used even but it
could have an effect when a patched in part of the whichever
pairwisingish algorithm being run:

 | Counts after using permuting.
 |
 | . . 2.  3.  4. The figures here : 3-->2-->4<--3
 | 2. .  250 238
 | 3 233. .  235
 |
 | The official results, taken from
 | . http://www.debian.org/vote/2003/vote_0001
 |
 | . . 2.  3.  4. Official : Official 3-->2-->4<--3
 | 2. .  238 224
 | 3 221. .  226

The fraction of votes affected by the smudging resolution of ties on
preferences was a lot greater (in the last Debian election) than the
percentage needed to undo a victory of the winner.

Somehow the methods are insensitive to whether that permuting was
done or not.

It may have to do with passing P2.
P2 saying things including this:
  the winners are unaffected by the change 2(A)-(AB)-(AC) results in
  an implausible preferential voting method):