Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:25:56PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> It's absolutely fantastic. Each person has its own opinion about who has
> the right to decide about this issue. Branden doesn't agree with you for
> example (ie he doesn't think that it's up to Wichert to decide) ...

Wichert has the power; the decision is his. He may choose to let
somebody else decide, but that's mere sophistry. Note that inaction is
really a decision in favour of status quo.

> I hope the operators (who are Debian developers) will accept Debian's
> decision. Otherwise I really don't see why we have a constitution ...

I would say that the consitution does not apply to things developers
do externally to the project. See aj's earlier comments on trying to
pass a resolution about whether the sky is blue or not (or
conversations in bars, etc.)

 : :' :                         | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-    http://www.debian.org/ | London, UK