Re: realpath quoting

On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 07:11:46PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> Perhaps Perl and the module String::ShellQuote ?
>
> 2024-05-02 18:50:28 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ touch "name with spaces"
>
> 2024-05-02 18:50:45 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ touch "name with\nnewline"

You didn't create a name with a newline in it here.  You created a name
with a backslash in it.  If you wanted a newline, you would have to use
the $'...' quoting form (in bash).

    touch $'name with\nnewline'

> 2024-05-02 19:06:01 dpchrist@laalaa ~
> $ perl -MString::ShellQuote -e 'print shell_quote(@ARGV), "\n"' name*
> 'name with spaces' 'name with\nnewline'

I still insist that this is a workaround that should *not* be used
to try to cancel out quoting bugs in one's shell scripts.  Just write
the shell scripts correctly in the first place.