Re: bootable pendrive from zip file

On 25/04/2024 13:51, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Max Nikulin wrote:
"12.3.3 Number and Location of System Partitions
... Further, UEFI implementations may allow the use of conforming FAT
partitions which do not use the ESP GUID."

Another problem with the statement is that it only talks of GUID and
thus of GPT partitioning, while the specs allow MBR partitioning too.

I agree. I have not tried to find anything similar for MBR.

For images provided by distributions, it is important to follow specs to minimize chance of failure. For users balance may be different.

I prefer non-destructive approach for making bootable images. It allows to add some files. It is even possible to remount media as read-writable while a live image is booted. I was not aware that partition type might be an issue.

I consider direct byte to byte copy of an image (instead of putting files to an earlier formatted drive) as the last resort. A decade ago I had to use it when I messed up something with syslinux configuration.

USB pen drive is not a diskette, but it increases probability that
superfloppy formatting style is supported. Of course, singe FAT partition is
more portable.

If that's a quote from the specs,

Sorry for confusion, certainly this paragraph is my comment.

As to the "debian" symlink, it might be either for apt-cdrom or for those who mounts images as local repository. It is just a guess, I have no example of a tool that needs the symlink.