Re: Zoom in the official repo is outdated

On 4/24/24 01:28 PM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
On 24 Apr 2024 16:42 -0300, from luizromario@tecgraf.puc-rio.br (Luiz Romário Santana Rios):
Earlier this month, I noticed I was no longer able to login to Zoom meetings
using the client installed from the Debian repos. In order to join meetings,
I had to uninstall it then install the flatpack Zoom package.

I think it should either be updated or outright removed in favor of the
flatpack version. What do you think? Should I report a bug?
I can't seem to find any Zoom client at all in the official Debian
repositories. It also doesn't really sound like something that the
Debian project _would_ package.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=zoom (which searches
everything from buster to trixie plus sid and experimental, across all
architectures) lists packages named libnet-z3950-simple2zoom-perl,
libnet-z3950-zoom-perl, libnet-z3950-zoom-perl-dbgsym, node-d3-zoom,
ruby-zoom, ruby-zoom-dbgsym, xzoom, xzoom-dbgsym, zoom-player and
zoom-player-dbgsym; none of which appear to be in any way related to
the proprietary videoconferencing service.

That said, if it's packaged for Debian somewhere and the packaged
version does not work for its intended purpose on a version of Debian
it's advertised as being packaged for, then yes, my firm belief is
that making some sort of report of this to whoever packages it that it
doesn't work properly (ideally with steps to reproduce the incorrect
behavior) is entirely reasonable.

_If_ that is the Debian project, then filing a bug against the
specific package through the Debian bug tracker is the correct way to
do it. _If so_, then start at <https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting>.

Zoom provides a .deb package from their website, so they are the ones to work with.

You can run your Zoom app (don't start a meeting) and in the upper right, just above the gear icon is an account icon.  Click it and you'll get a menu which includes a "Check for Updates" item.

The resulting window will either tell you you're up to date or have a link to their webpage to download the latest version.

You will then need to manually install the .deb package.

Bob