Re: Bookworm Fasttrack and Virtualbox

On 2024-03-17 at 08:48, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 12:35:33PM +0100, Miguel A. Vallejo wrote:
>
>> Well... it seems my brain can't distinguish Bookworm from
>> Bullseye.
>
> It's not just you.  The use of three "b" names in a row (buster,
> bullseye, bookworm) was in my opinion a poor decision.

I tend to concur.

The closest thing to a helpful mnemonic for it that I've found (which
isn't very close, and often isn't very helpful, given how frequently I
fail to remember it when I would need it) is that the names are in
reverse alphabetical order.

> I've taken to calling the releases by their numbers (10, 11, 12)
> instead of their codenames to avoid confusion wherever possible.

Because of the contexts (including, but not limited to, sources.list)
where you can't use those numbers, and have to use codenames instead,
that hasn't been helpful to me. The numbers also don't have any
intuitive correlation with the names, so mapping from one to another
requires looking them up in some appropriate document, which is
inconvenient enough that in practice it mostly won't be done.

--
   The Wanderer