Re: Debugging an USB array issue

Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
> on a Debian bullseye uptodate system [1], I experiment frequent (every
> 3-4 hours on heavy load) disk disconnections from a md RAID10 array with
> 4 drives connected to an USB 10000M adapter [2].
>
> Errors do not look like a timeout, but like a DMA error [3].
>
> Immediately after, the disk reappears as a new drive name and can be
> re-added quickly to the md RAID array (I am doing those tests with a
> read-only mounted filesystem for obvious reasons).
>
> Initially, I was wondering if it was maybe a disk doing a too long
> recovery procedure, but it is to be noted that it's not always the same
> disk which has an error, and smartctl -a shows no recorded errors for
> any of the 4 drives [4]. The drives are connected to a SATA-to-USB
> enclosure [6].
>
> This is on a 3.1 USB PCI-Express card [5].
>
> I already applied this work-around (which does not seem to apply to a
> non-idle system):
>    echo -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend
>
> What would be your recommandations?  I have thought about downgrading to
> a slower port (it should not be much different with 5000M), changing the
> cable, or maybe it's the enclosure?

I have never had long-term happiness with multiple disks
connected via USB. I strongly recommend that you find a 4 or 8
disk SATA/SAS PCIe card -- an LSI 2008, for example -- and connect
through that, instead. US prices are $40-45 new. Add $15 for an 8087-to-4xSATA
cable, you will have happiness for less than $75.

-dsr-