Re: strange time problem with bullseye

On 3/6/24 18:02, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 05:56:29PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
On 3/6/24 12:42, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 12:31:46PM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
      sudo timedatectl set-ntp true

But *don't* do that if you're using some other NTP program instead of
systemd-timesyncd.

Are you saying that both chrony and ntpsec, which are fully ntp
client/server ack the docs are worthless to timedatectl?

I'm saying "don't turn on systemd's NTP thing if you're using a different
NTP thing".

Roy's instructions failed to take into account that many of us are
already using a different NTP implementation, besides systemd's.

I can turn either off, but no place in the ntpsec docs, nor the chrony docs does it show the ability to slam the current time into the SW clock on these arm systems at bootup's first access time. And the normal correction is maybe a second an hour so it its been turned off for a week, its another week out of time when turned back on. The whole thing never considered the no hwclock situation that exists in 99% of the arm world. I was hoping timedatectl had that ability but I see it says you must be synched first. The rpis's can do it, whats the secret recipe?

Thank Greg, take care & stay well.
Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis