Re: what keyboard do you use?

On Sun, 2024-02-04 at 18:23 +0000, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2024 12:08 -0600, from n0nb@n0nb.us (Nate Bargmann):
> > xmodmap trickery?  I am running GNOME on Wayland.
>
> Or whatever the equivalent in Wayland (or GNOME) might be. Either way,
> surely there must be _some_ way to map (sets of) keyboard scan codes
> to symbols or actions, and that way is almost certainly reconfigurable
> because otherwise everyone would be stuck with the exact same keyboard
> layout, which would make for a rather poor internationalization/
> localization experience.

We are stuck with it :(  Last time I checked, KDE isn't any better.

With xmodmap, I was able to adjust the layout as needed.  With
wayland, I can't do that anymore and I'm stuck with an US layout ---
which my keyboard fortunately physically has --- because some keys on
German keyboards are so badly placed and configured that I need to be
able to change the layout if want to use a German keyboard with a
German layout.

It's one of these basic things we shouldn't need to have any trouble
at all with, and it really pisses me off.

All the developers are proabably Americans and never come across this
problem.  Why else won't they let us change the keyobard layout as we
need to.