Re: Seeking a Terminal Emulator on Debian for "Passthrough" Printing

On Mon, 2024-01-15 at 20:32 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 08:08:36PM +0100, hw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't understand why you involve a terminal emulator in the process.
> > Do you need to see the data that goes through the COM port displayed
> > in a terminal (like minicom)?
>
> People interact with the (remote) application by means of the terminal
> emulator. Things get sent to/from the printer based on escape sequences
> initiated by the application.

Desktop sharing works fine with gnome these days.  Why not interact
with the application through that kinda locally?

> In the original (proprietary) application, the dispatching functionality

Dispatching functionality?

> is integrated in the terminal emulator, so it is understandable that
> pheoebus phoebus wants to keep that structure in the replacement.

I don't understand.

> I proposed splitting off the "mux" functionality from the terminal
> emulator functionality, but I fully understand that phoebus phoebus
> favours the more "conservative" approach.
>
> By the way -- back then (TM), when terminals were real things, it was
> not unheard of that they came with an attached printer and some bar
> code scannery -- all handily multiplexed over the RS-232 (or something
> more monstruous), orchestrated via intricate escapery.
>
> So the thing is just a natural evolution dating back to The Dinosaurs.

Well, I'd have to be quit a bit older to have experienced "real"
terminals like that.  I do remember printers accepting some escape
sequences to control their functionality, though.

If this application is running on such a terminal, maybe it's time to
find a more modern und thus more feasible replacement ...  An ancient
terminal may cease to work eventually and be very difficult to repair
once it does ...