Re: Temporary failure in name resolution

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 07:19:41PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:

> >> As an output of the `startx' command.
> >
> > It would be lovely to see the *entire* error message, in case some part
> > of it identifies the program that produced the error.  Many messages do.
>

> /etc/resolv.conf is there again (the system created it) but the error message
> does not seem to occur any more.  Even if it occurred again, I have no way to
> fetch it, cause it appears (it used to) at login.

I think this is it (all other advice in this thread about getting
/etc/hosts in order is not bad, but I think it wasn't your problem).

"The system" as you put it is probably dhcpd (or its systemd
cousin, whatever that's called these days). When it goes to
fetch an IP address, it also gets an address or two for the
local name servers, which it puts [1] in /etc/resolv.conf

I guess for some reason there was a stale entry there which
wasn't removed when you lost connectivity.

Cheers

[1] with some indirection or two, e.g. resolvconf