Re: VAX emulation/simulation (was Re: systemd-timesyncd)

Hi,

Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> You ruined my day :-)

It was not my fault. Send complaints to the people who convened as
"High Sierra Group" in 1986.

> Something similar to IBM's kludgiest relic of the early 1960s has appeared
> in linux?

The unixoid community added System Use Protocol and Rock Ridge Interchange
Protocol in the early 1990s in order to get X/Open functionality on top
of ISO 9660. That's POSIX with long file names (up to 255 bytes) and
paths (up to 1024 bytes) where only 0-byte and '/' have special meanings.

A company Who Must Not Be Named introduced Joliet to store names of up
to 64 characters in a 16 bit character set (while still ignoring the
difference between uppercase and lowercase).

Linux mount(8) introduced a character mapping from the uppercase character
set of ISO 9660 to lowercase. This mapping also removes the version part
of the file names.

> The idea that we need version numbers embedded in filenames
> involuntarily may be "natural" to somebody.

I have never seen any version other than ";1" (and ISOs which simply
ignore the specs about file names). It's a non-functional relic, which
in Linux can only be uncovered if you suppress Rock Ridge, Joliet, and
name mapping during the mount command.

> And I've been an IBM mainframe admin and developer too.

In the times when a full scale mainframe came with a female discus
thrower ?
  http://www.ibmsystem3.nl/5444/images/5444DISK.jpg

Have a nice day :)

Thomas