Re: SOLVED FOR GENE:Re: was: Re: tzdata-legacy [was: Re: systemdand timezone]

On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 03:49:05PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> For us Debian users a better choice would seem to be:
>
> https://manpages.debian.org/
>
> The only thing is that I don't see a category for oldstable and
> oldoldstable, etc.

It's by release code name, e.g. "buster" instead of "oldoldstable".

<https://manpages.debian.org/buster/grep> (which is easy to remember
and to type manually) takes you to a disambiguation page that links to
<https://manpages.debian.org/buster/grep/egrep.1.en.html> and so on.

If you skip the release name and just go to
<https://manpages.debian.org/awk> it takes a guess and redirects you
to <https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/9base/awk.1plan9.en.html>
which is not the GNU awk page, but hey, it's *one* awk page.

I have no idea why some conflicts result in a disambiguation page, and
others result in a guess.

<https://manpages.debian.org/gawk> takes you to
<https://manpages.debian.org/bookworm/gawk/gawk.1.en.html> which is
more likely what you wanted.

If you want an older release's man page, you can edit the URL and
replace "bookworm" with "bullseye" or whatever.

So, there's a certain intuitiveness to the URL bar interface, but also
some surprises, when multiple source packages all provide a man page
with the same name.