Re: Recommended simple PDF viewer to replace Evince

On 6/12/23 01:09, Max Nikulin wrote:
I believed that CUPS stack is based on PDF while earlier PostScript was used.

I recently wrote a  user space CUPS driver for a thermal printer. At the point I get to process the print data it has already been rasterised into a bitmap. My impression is that CUPS takes whatever it is given to print and either passes it transparently to a device that can handle it, e.g. a pdf printer,  or rasterises it and passes a bitmap.

I did not see any sign that CUPS goes through an intermediate PDF or PS stage.

Also of note is the entire CUPS API is deprecated. I'm not sure what is to replace it but whatever it is, it is not mainstream yet.