Re: Recommended simple PDF viewer to replace Evince

I use Evince probably once a week or so from the command line.  I do
not see that error, though I think I have in the past.  I suspect that
if you are seeing those issues with the current bookworm release, it
is likely a problem local to you.

You could be missing a package that evince expects to be there, but
there is a missing dependency (likely, making it a Debian problem).
You could have configured something some time ago that no longer makes
sense, either Gnome based as a whole, something local to Evince, etc,
or a cache corruption (which makes it a local issue which could be a
challenge to track down).  Or a good old fashioned bug somewhere along
the line (perhaps making it a Gnome/Evince bug).

One URL from the man page, http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/,
seems to go through a series of JavaScript based redirects to end up
at https://apps.gnome.org.  That does give a GitLab based 404 error.
I'm not sure if that is the "throws an error" situation you were
referring to or not.  Possibly related, https://circle.gnome.org gives
the same 404.  Both of those links are listed in the footer of
https:///www.gnome.org/.

However, there is another site listed in the man page:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evince/issues , and that does appear to
work.  That might be another venue you can try if you want to resolve
the issue instead of abandoning Evince.

As far as alternatives, I think both current versions of Firefox and
Chrome support PDFs natively.  Also, before I started using evince, I
used to use gv (based on ghostview) quite a bit.  The following seems
to list most of the various programs discussed in this thread, plus a
couple of others:

apt-cache search pdf-viewer

mrc