Re: DHCP Problem

On Sun, Dec 03, 2023 at 12:30:53PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> I am installing a new router which seems to work well so far.
>
> I have changed the DHCP server to use the new router's address, and shut
> the server down and restarted it. Existing clients insist on using the
> old router anyway. Is there any way to goose clients into using the new
> one short of manually using the ip route command?

Wait a sec: before the clients get an answer from the DHCP server, they
don't have any route (at least not for the network in question), so it
doesn't make sense poking at them with ip route and things. They send their
request to the local network's segment broadcast address.

What's possibly happening is that your old DCHP server is still up and
running and faster than your new one, so its answers come in first.

Cheers