Re: network question

On 11/9/23 14:15, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Nov 09, 2023 at 02:05:49PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
I have plugged in a supplied cat-5 jumper into a port of the local switch
serving that room and now need to find it on my local net IF it has a ping
responder.

So the questions  are:
What do I need to change in my network config on this machine so I can ping
all 65536 address of the 192.168 block of ipv4 address?

Will changing the CIDR, presently /24 to /16 be sufficient?

What makes you think the printer would be configured with a 192.168
address?  Just hoping?  Blind faith isn't your best choice here.
A vendor shipping a device with some randomly selected 192.168.x.y
address and hoping that it matches the user's network *and* doesn't
conflict with any existing device -- that would be silliness.
(And remember, 192.168 is just one of *three* separate private ranges
that could be used.)

A much more reasonable guess would be that it's configured with a DHCP
client, and that your network's DHCP server will give it an address.
Then, you should be able to see something about that in the DHCP
server's logs.

Another reasonable guess is that once the printer gets a DHCP address,
it'll start broadcasting about itself using the standard autodiscovery
stuff.  CUPS should be able to see it, if you can figure out which name
belongs to it.

I hadn't considered that Greg, thanks & lemme check. But since the add new printers has never worked, it didn't spoil its record. cpus-browsed is not installed as that seems to be the only way to disable the broken auto-config and let the brother supplied drivers work. As I've stated many times before, they do not run these printers at all well,

I hadn't considered that
If you still don't have a DHCP server on your network for religious
reasons, well, maybe it's time to change that.

Possibly. ATM I've cobbled up a bash script to look for a ping response but because it waits .2 seconds for a -c1, it is quite slow.

Thanks, take care & stay well.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)