Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 05:20:47AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On 11/8/23 00:34, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 07:19:40PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:

<snip>

> Sounds good.
> However I may go a different route. I have a not installed 2T WD-Black SN770
> NVMe SSD, format 2280. This Asus prime z370-A II modo has two M2 sockets
> which the docs say both can use a 2280, but they operate differently w/o
> really explaining the difference. The one in the middle of the board, the A
> socket 2_2 looks like I have to pull the CPU and its radiator to be able to
> really get to it, and actually only shows how to install in the lower 2_1
> socket which also has a heat sinking cover that must be removed &
> reinstalled. Is this then the preferred location, or is there an advantage
> to the other socket nearer the CPU?.

Double check - sometimes one socket may be intended primarily for "other"
M2 devices. There shouldn't be any particular difference
between the two - one is obviously easier to reach than the other.
Occasionally, having two may mean that they run slightly slower.

> They are empty except for the ext4 install and if pvcreate just slams the
> new format regardless, I'll rsync the 2T /home back to the raid10, and
> unplug that controller before I put the install dvd in. I also have another
> sata controller, this one with all 16 ports installed.

It might be sensible to think about rebuilding the machine to use _one_
controller. If the 16 port controller has a JBOD mode, use that and
use mdadm. Splitting between some MB SATA ports, some on a card may not
be efficient. [JBOD == "just a bunch of disks" == no RAID intelligence
applied by the card itself]

> And I just looked at tht pair, and acc gparted they have both been
> pvcreated, so I'll leave then alone and steal the dvd cable, puttin a new 2T
> drive if I can rig power to it.
> This mobo also claims to be able to do the intel version of a raid on its
> own sata ports.  Does anyone here have experience doing that?

"Motherboard RAID" is not portable - mdadm is at least as efficient.
On the one machine I have that has "motherboard RAID", it's effectively
something like mdadm but writes some signature to the disk that means
it can only be read by that software. A "proper" RAID controller has
large amounts of RAM, battery backup - they generally cost $$$

> Thanks Tomas
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --

All the very best, as ever,