Re: Anybody familiar with dd (copy)?

Hello,

Am 05.11.2023 um 12:19 schrieb Schwibinger Michael:
Good morning
Thank You.

Can this help:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/39504/best-way-to-copy-all-files-ignoring-errors,,hotmail

I do not know.

I put in a DVD
and try to copy the data to HD

mc is saying:
Cannot copy.

Do You want to ignore the DVD?

I do not know mc, but what you describe is definitely not a full description of an error. Probably because mc is designed to hide those. In that case, you'd have to look at lower levels to actually see what is going on.

I think there was a bug during burning.

One important step in solving problems is identifying the problem.

That latest statement of yours indicates that you have not yet done so. You need to get beyond the stage of assuming, believing or thinking something might have happened -- you need to know.

Is "dd" the best idea?

Quite surely not.

Better find out what actually is on your DVD first. I have not worked with DVD writing for at least 10 years, and I do not intend to in the future, but I'm sure there are tools that can tell you about sessions and whatever you can have on the different flavours of writable DVDs. Once you know that level is good, you'll start to look at file systems.

After that, eventually, files and copying *may* become relevant.

I would propose you just stop spending time on those topics all those details may not be interesting to you. On the other hand, if the data is really important, it's time to start learning about how DVD writing actually works. A mailing list is not going to be very efficient here, better start differently, for example here: http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ and follow the links and make sure ypu actually understand those information. You probably will need a few packs of writable DVDs because experimenting and failing can be invaluable elements of learning.

It can actually be fun.

Cheers,

Arno

--