Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/3/23 18:14, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 12:27:19PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;
As usual, the man page may as well be written in swahili. The NDE syndrome,
meaning No D-----d Examples.

I have those 2 2T SSD's with a gpt partition table on both, allocated as
sdc1 and sdk1, formatted to ext4, named and labeled as lvm1 and lvm2.
Temp mounted as sdc1 and sdk1 to /mnt/lvm1 and /mnt/lvm2

How big is your /home - is it bigger than 2T?

Do you need both drives to provide redundant storage - or is it just
a temporary storage place for /home while you get the rest of the RAID
devices sorted out?

If I were you, I wouldn't start from here :)

Don't mount them as individual drives.

pvcreate to initialise each physical drive as a drive reserved for lvm

pvcreate /dev/sdc1
pvcreate /dev/sdk1

vgcreate to create a logical volume

vgcreate HomeVolgroup /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdk1

Then use lvcreate to create the logical volume itself.
I'v got to the above point but the first example that looked good created a 100% allocated, no free space "homevol"
So I used gparted to delete the partitions & reformat them to ext4 again,
pvcreated them again an vgcreateded it again, getting:
gene@coyote:~$ sudo vgs -v
VG Attr Ext #PV #LV #SN VSize VFree VG UUID VProfile HomeVolGroup wz--n- 4.00m 2 0 0 <3.73t <3.73t tdHtLW-95wJ-rLk5-fTiS-ILfV-kRD7-xqkClP
But now 2 puzzles:

1, there is zero explanation in the vgs man page telling me what this is. What does the < tell me?, and I don't see a break between VG and UUID, word wrapped here by tbird, is that whole string of gibberish the VG's UUID?

2, the lvcreate man page doesn't appear to have a way to specify using the whole max capacity of the empty but formatted to ext4 pair of drives, the extremely copious example list doesn't seem to address that condition.

3a, what would the cmd to mount it to /mnt/lvm2 so rsync can copy /home to it look like?

3b, what would the line in fstab that mounts it look like?

See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/LVM
Which also assumes an innate familiarity with all this that I don't have any experience with since this screwed me up and drove me out of the redhat camp 2 decades ago, I was tired of being the always sick and dying lab rat for redhat.

Use lvm to do this: that's *exactly* what it's designed for - to allow you
to add volumes and extend disk sizes.

This is exactly how partman does it when you install. (In fact, you could do
this quite well by rebooting to recovery and using that method to reformat
the drives).

How do I create a single managed volume of labels lvm1 and lvm2 of these to
make a single volume that I can then rsynch /home to it, then switch fstab

See above:

All the very best, as ever,

Andy
[amacater@debian.org]

Sorry to need so much hand holding Andy, but my only previous experience with logical volumes 20 years ago cost me dearly in terms of lost, irreplaceable data, like the only pictures of my first wife who had a stroke and died in '68 after 10 glorious years and 3 children. Who have also now passed. A man doesn't normally outlast his git.

Thank you Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis