Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/3/23 12:27, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;
As usual, the man page may as well be written in swahili. The NDE syndrome, meaning No D-----d Examples.

I have those 2 2T SSD's with a gpt partition table on both, allocated as sdc1 and sdk1, formatted to ext4, named and labeled as lvm1 and lvm2.
Temp mounted as sdc1 and sdk1 to /mnt/lvm1 and /mnt/lvm2

How do I create a single managed volume of labels lvm1 and lvm2 of these to make a single volume that I can then rsynch /home to it, then switch fstab to mount it as /home on a reboot?

If it works, I'll kill the raid10, reformat it and make it another lvm for amanda to use.

I am determined to remove the raid10 /home from the list of suspects causing my system lockups anytime a program such as OpenSCAD or digiKam, even firefox wants to write a new file to my /home partition.  This delay does not lockup the whole shebang, already open files in other workspaces seem to run at normal speeds, but opening a simple gui file requester to get where to put the file, and possibly rename it, takes anywhere from 30 seconds minimum to around 5 minutes just to draw the requester on screen. And while you are waiting, wondering if you even pressed the mouse button, there is ZERO acknowledgement the button has been pushed.  The mouse can be moved normally, but until the requester is fully drawn on screen, no other button clicks are registered.

Miss-statement correction, s/b no other mouse clicks are registered to the app, workspaces can be switched and the requester is drawn on whatever workspace is then active when it is finally drawn.

This software raid10 worked perfectly for buster and bullseye, but its been nothing but a headache on bookworm.  And only one has tried to help, suggesting strace, but its output is so copious it overflows the 32G of main memory in this machine so I can't go back to the actual programs start with the trace. I have used it in the past, decade or more back up the log, and while it was noisy then, this is unusable.

Thanks for help with dmsetup.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)