Re: How to compare one folder to one directory

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 09:12:45AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
>> Loris Bennett wrote:
>> > What's the objection to 'folder'?  I don't use it myself, but it seems
>> > fairly reasonable to me.  Many desktop environments use an old hanging
>> > folder icon in their file browsers.
>>
>> tomas writes:
>> > This is Microsoft jargon.
>>
>> It comes from the Xerox "desktop metaphor".  The idea was to hide scary
>> technical jargon behind familiar office jargon.
>
> Yup -- Wikipedia says either Xerox or SRI.

Personally I don't see "directory" as being more scary or technical than
"folder".  They are both words from the pre-computer age which have been
repurposed, just as the term "computer" now no longer refers to a human
who performs computations.

--
This signature is currently under constuction.