Re: How can I find packages manually installed using "dpkg -i"?

On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 09:52:39AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 09:43:39AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > On 2023-10-02 at 09:28, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> > > Yeah, the one for which I had to manually use "dpkg -i".
> >
> > That information is not tracked.
> >
> > What is tracked is "the package versions known to be available from each
> > registered repository" and "the package versions which are installed".
>
> There *is* tracking.  Packages can be marked as "automatically installed"
> or not.  The problem is, the marking is not consistent with user
> expectations.

But not if you use dpkg directly (dpkg doesn't even resolve dependencies,
but just gives up when some aren't met). That's why I proposed comparing
apt logs and dpkg logs -- things in the latter but not in the former were
probably installed with straight dpkg.

It probably ain't straightforward, though. And the logs might have been
rotated out anyway.

Cheers