Can't mount NFS NAS after major upgrade

I upgraded a version 8 system to version 11 from scratch--e.g., I totally reinitialized the internal drive and laid down an entirely fresh install of 11. Then 12 came out about a week later, but I haven't yet upgraded to 12 because I have a show-stopper on 11 which I absolutely must solve before moving ahead, and it's the following:

For years I have had a Synology NAS that was automatically mounted and directories thereon bound during the boot process via the following lines at the end of /etc/fstab:

# NAS box:
//192.168.1.156/BigVol1 /mnt/bigvol1 cifs _netdev,username=<username>,password=<password>,ro 0 0

Then I had the following line, replicated for several directories on bigvol1, to bind them to directories on the home filesystem, all in a script called /root/remount that I executed manually after each reboot:

mount /mnt/bigvol1/dir-1 /home/steve/dir-1 -o bind,ro

I had directories set up on the home filesystem to accept these binds, like this:

mount /mnt/bigvol1/dir-1 /home/steve/dir-1 -o bind,ro

None of this works any more on Debian 11. After boot, /mnt/bigvol1 is empty, so there's no need to even try the remount script because there's nothing to which those directories can bind, so even if those mount commands are correct, I would never know until bigvol1 mounts correctly and content appears in at least 'ls -ld /mnt/bigvol1'.

Research into this problem made me try similar techniques after having installed nfs-utils. I got bogged down by a required procedure entailing exportation of NFS volume information in order to let nfs-utils know about the NFS drive, but before I commit to that, I thought I'd ask in here to make sure I'm not about to do anything horribly wrong.

So, summarily put, what's different about mounting a networked NFS drive from 8 to 11 and 12?

Thanks in advance.