Re: sata driver compataility Q

On 9/15/23 17:35, David Christensen wrote:
On 9/15/23 12:28, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I've just ordered some stuff to rebuild or expand my Raid setup.
This 16 port sata-III pci-e card:
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L184W57?smid=A2H818KAC5I4D1&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1>
along with a bigger drive cage, cables and such and some gigastone 2T drives to make a raid big enough to run amanda. And maybe put a new card in front of my 2T /home raid10.

The card claims linux compatibility.

Can anyone advise me on the gotcha's of such a 16 port beast?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Searching Amazon for "gigastone 2T", I see:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigastone-Internal-Compatible-Desktop-Laptop/dp/B0BN5978X1

     540 MB per second

PCIe 3.0 x1 is rated for 985 MB/s.

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcie

So, the PCIe 3.0 x1 connector is going to be a bottleneck when accessing more than one SSD.

I suggest that you pick an HBA with a wider PCIe connector -- PCIe 3.0 x8 (7.88 GB/s) is a reasonable match for sixteen SSD's (8.64 GB/s). PCIe 3.0 x16 would eliminate the PCIe bottleneck.

Is everything going into one chassis?  Have you considered an external drive chassis?
Got one of those coming too. Small possibility it will fit it the bottom of this huge and old tiger direct tower. Because the radiator for the 6 core i5 is too tall, it hasn't had a side cover on it in years. If not, theres a 3 3.5" cage at the bottom of the stack I can stuff with 2 SSD's per bay slot. A hidey place, front cover is solid, but cooling might be a problem. If worse comes to worse I could shoe-goo a 120x15 to the side of the cage.

Make sure your power supply(s) are adequate to the task.

400 watter, presently runs dead cold. 5V line rated at 16A, probably not using half that now.

David

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)