Re: sata driver compataility Q

On 9/15/23 15:56, Dan Ritter wrote:
gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I've just ordered some stuff to rebuild or expand my Raid setup.
This 16 port sata-III pci-e card:
<https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L184W57?smid=A2H818KAC5I4D1&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1>
along with a bigger drive cage, cables and such and some gigastone 2T drives
to make a raid big enough to run amanda. And maybe put a new card in front
of my 2T /home raid10.

The card claims linux compatibility.

Can anyone advise me on the gotcha's of such a 16 port beast?

What you actually have there is 1 SATA-3 controller which should
be able to support 4 disks, and 4 port multipliers to support
16.

And I forgot to ask, which would be faster, 4 drives on port1 1-4, or 4 drives on ports 1-5-9-13?

Effectively, every group of four disks is competing against
themselves. So performance is going to be mediocre.

It should work, though, as a giant dumping ground.

But why are you buying 16 x 2TB disks, if not for performance?

I've never heard of Gigastone and can offer no assessment of
them.

-dsr-
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.