FF not working for bank [was: Chromium under Xfce/bookworm anyone?]

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 01:14:34PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:16:15 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed 13 Sep 2023 at 08:24:27 (-0400), Celejar wrote:
> >
> > > I have no choice - there's at least one important site (of a major
> > > financial institution) that I need that simply doesn't work with
> > > Firefox.
> >
> > Usual question: what does "doesn't work" mean?
>
> The site frequently goes into some kind of redirect loop - it keeps
> jumping back and forth between "logon.example.com" and
> "some.page.example.com",

This looks like some cookie gets lost in transaction.  The second
page sees you coming empty-handed, sends you to the first to get
your cookie and for some reason you drop it (I know, because I
usually disallow all cookies ;-)

>                          preventing me from accessing the site. I can
> get around this, at least sometimes, by simply going to the URL bar and
> typing in some other example.com url, but this behavior is really
> annoying.
>
> The truth is, however, that although I thought I had fully investigated
> the problem, I was wrong. Upon further investigation, it seems that it's
> my uBlock Origin settings that are causing the problem - disabling it
> entirely (as opposed to just for the pages mentioned above) solves the
> problem. Now I just have to dive into the logger and try to figure out
> what I need to adjust to get things working.

Yep, exactly that. It might also happen if you disallow third-party
cookies (a reasonable thing to do) and the bank's web "developers"
play cookie ping-pong with some other shady web "service" (to them,
not to you).

Complain to them. It may not help upfront but it binds resources. If
many people do, they might ending up giving in.

Cheers