Re: raid10 access problem

On 9/9/23 05:53, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/9/23 05:15, David Christensen wrote:

I buy used motherboard/ CPU/ memory combos on eBay for storage servers -- Intel S1200V3RP motherboard, Xeon E3-1200 v3 or v4 series processor, and ECC memory.  There are four variants of the S1200V3RP -- L, M, O, and S.    I avoid the S1200V3RPM and S1200V3RPO because they only have one PCIe slot.  The S1200V3RPS is the most common, and has 2 @ SATA III ports and 4 @ SATA II ports.  The S1200V3RPL has 6 @ SATA III ports, but is less common.  I have not noticed any difference between the S1200V3RPL SATA III vs. the S1200V3RPS SATA II when using SATA III magnetic HDD's.  Prices start around $100:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=71384,71385

I looked around a bit last night, but noted the psu's supplied or required for those wintel boards went kilowatt plus rated.
That won't do in todays energy conscious world.

Please "reply to list".

The Intel product brief for the S1200V3RP server boards indicates the corresponding Intel server chassis had power supplies ranging from single 350 W to dual 460 W.

I chose the Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 660 W power supply for its engineering and construction quality, number of output connectors, energy efficient (reduced heat, noise, and utility bill), and to match the chassis brand.

The card I bought for about a $25 bill, for this machine has 6 ports populated, pads for at least 2 more. I wish now that I had bought a wider one. The mobo has 6, using 4 there, which leaves 4 open sata ports but no drive cage room left.  And its all running on a 300 watt supply that is not complaining, running room temp cold.  So is the 6 core i5 I've never seen warmer that 32C for any core with gkrellm monitoring it.

The computers that I have found to be the most useful and that I have kept for the longest amount of time are the full towers that I built using standard ATX parts. I chose the Fractal Design Define R5 for its mix and quantity of drive bays, vibration-isolated 3.5" drive mounts, sound-absorbing lining, and large low-RPM fans. Even with 8 @ 3.5" HDD's, 3 @ 2.5" SSD's, CPU fan, PSU fan, and 3 @ 140 mm chassis fans, the servers are quiet enough for a bedroom work environment.

David