Re: bookworm and network connections

"D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't think that debian has used used /etc/network/interfaces for a
> while, at least not by default. Certainly there's nothing useful there
> on the machine that I just upgraded and whose networking is failing to
> configure itself correctly.

I used to think that too. In fact, I believe in some update last decade
my desktop system switched to something other than ifupdown, probably
systemd-networkd and the stuff in /etc/network/interfaces stopped
working.

But when I recently installed Debian (headless server) on a little pizza
box, I did end up with ifupdown running the network. So it's still the
default. The new system's network config is pretty simple and the couple
of little things beyond basic DHCP client I needed were easily handled by
ifupdown and the kernel itself so no reason to touch it.