Re: bookworm and network connections

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 04:16:46PM -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:
> I don't think that debian has used used /etc/network/interfaces for a while,
> at least not by default.

All of my Debian servers (and desktops) have an
/etc/network/interfaces file and ifupdown installed. It depends upon
choices made in the installer as to whether ifupdown is installed at
all.

> Network Manager -- I think -- uses some completely different mechanism for
> managing networking (although I have no idea what that mechanism is.)

Yes, it is ifupdown which uses that file. NetworkManager is
configured another way. Uusally NetworkManager will ignore
interfaces which are mentioned in /etc/network/interfaces, so if you
have ifupdown installed and put stuff in /etc/network/interfaces, it
should be ifupdown (and only that) that configures them.

As others have mentioned, NetworkManager is not usually considered a
good choice for servers with a static networking environment.

You need to decide whether you are going to persevere with
configuring NetworkManager, or switch to something else (generally
ifupdown or systemd-networkd).

I don't know enough about NetworkManager to advise you how to get
out of the situation you are in. I only use it on laptops and
generally don't touch it, there.

Your situation appears to have been triggered by the renaming of
your network interfaces (which was warned about in the release
notes). You should decide whether to revert that (it's already been
posted how to do that, also see the wiki link below), or go with it.

Both of these are worth reading:

    https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
    https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames

Cheers,