Re: AMD GPU hard lockups

debian-user@lists.debian.org
On 8/2/23, piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 02/08/2023 22:29, Celejar wrote:
>> The Z440 officially supports up to an NVIDIA Quadro K6000 12GB, which
>> draws 234 watts, so it ought to be able to handle my Red Devil RX-570.
>> The Red Devil specifies a minimum system power of 450 watts, and my
>> Z440's PSU is 700 watts:
>
> More detailed info:
> https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-red-devil-rx-570-oc.b4455
>
> Your GPU max TDP is 150W, meaning it will draw 75W from PCI-E slot and
> 75W from 8-pin cable.
> Your 8-pin adapter must have been very poor quality. I don't know what
> kind of adapter it was, but adapters which make 8-pin from 6-pin, are
> dangerous. Better to use 2x 6-pin -> 1x 8-pin adapter to correctly
> assign wires to each corresponding pin.

Was coming in on this to say something similar. Just read this in last
week or so while having problems with booting my setup again.

Whatever I read had nothing to do with rebooting so I've forgotten
where I saw it. I just looked at the Cable Matters product, and that
was the very piece of hardware being chatted up.

What I'm remembering is that if the power of possibly just one of
those pins is not matched up properly, you can kill an entire
motherboard, not just burn through a wire. Seems like it was
semi-proprietary to a single product line. What I don't understand is
the company didn't care enough about consumers to make a proprietary
*shaped" pin setup so that consumers NEVER fry their systems. Make
that single, volatile hole/port star-shaped or something, anything.

This isn't what I read, but it seems to paint a similar picture of
what might happen:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-it-possible-i-destroyed-my-psu-by-using-a-wrong-cpu-cable.3721595/

Wishing you the best of luck on this.. :)

Cindy :)
* runs with.. a system that boots when it gets a mind to.. *