Re: 127.0.1.1 line, was Re: chrome web browser worthless

On 8/2/23 16:34, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed 02 Aug 2023 at 16:00:24 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
On 8/2/23 15:15, Brian wrote:
Where is the line with 127.0.1.1? Debian always provides that.

True, but I've never seen a description of what that does or what its
for.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution

One click away from the first result of my first Google search on the
topic.  Not hard to find at all.

When you see something that you don't understand and your first reaction
is "let's remove that!" it's no wonder you have so many problems.

Thank you -- that answers my question:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution

The IP address 127.0.1.1 in the second line of this example may not be found on some other Unix-like systems. The Debian Installer creates this entry for a system without a permanent IP address as a workaround for some software (e.g., GNOME) as documented in the bug #719621.

David