Re: 127.0.1.1 line, was Re: chrome web browser worthless

On 3/8/23 07:34, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed 02 Aug 2023 at 16:00:24 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:
On 8/2/23 15:15, Brian wrote:
Where is the line with 127.0.1.1? Debian always provides that.

True, but I've never seen a description of what that does or what its
for.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_hostname_resolution

As an aside, I checked my current debian 12 bookworm installation and found in /etc/nsswitch.conf this line

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname mymachines

when I do man nsswitch.conf there is no reference to mdns4_minimal

I see from searching that mdns4_minimal is referenced reasonably often over the past few years but I can't find it defined.

The question arises why it's not defined in man nsswitch.conf?