Re: OT: Protecting electrical equipment; was: Recommendations for a UPS?

On 31 Jul 2023 15:21 -0400, from songbird@anthive.com (songbird):
>   i do not run things for long when the power goes out
> but the capacity for my needs is plenty and then i shut
> down in an orderly fashion.  most of the time i shut down
> the computer system and unplug the power cord and the
> network cables and antenna cables if there is a storm
> coming through - just out of the idea that i don't really
> want things to get fried.

You can have incoming-mains overvoltage protection installed to
provide a base level of protection for everything electrical against a
mains overvoltage (but generally not other types of power
fluctuations). It's not even all that expensive, or at least wasn't
some years ago. Consider asking your electrician what options would be
available in your particular situation and for a cost estimate or
quote.

Especially if you are in an area that frequently gets lightning, it
_might_ help the UPS last longer, too, since its protective circuitry
then doesn't need to take the brunt of the voltage spike after that is
already well inside your home with all the associated risks.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”