Re: Migrating from hard drives to SSDs

On 7/11/23 21:39, David Christensen wrote:
On 7/11/23 13:18, Mick Ab wrote:
I am thinking of changing my storage from two 1TB hard drives in a software
RAID 1 configuration to two M.2 Nvme 1 TB SSDs. The two SSDs would be put
into a software RAID 1 configuration. Currently each hard drive contains
both the operating system and user data.

What steps would you recommend to achieve the above result and would those
steps be the quickest way ?

One of the M.2 slots can operate at PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 3.0, while the other
slot can only operate at PCIe 3.0. If they are to be in a RAID 1 array, I
guess that both slots should be operated at PCIe 3.0 speed.

I would backup the system configuration files and data, power down, remove the HDD's, install the NVMe drives, boot Debian installation media, do a fresh install, restore/ merge the system configuration files, and restore the data.

The above should be the most reliable approach and produce a "known good" Debian system instance.

AIUI Linux md RAID can deal with block device speed differences.

Taking a step back, you might want to re-think using two 1 TB devices in RAID1 for everything -- boot, swap, root, and data.  I put boot, swap, and root on a single 2.5" SATA SSD's and keep the entire instance small enough to fit onto a "16 GB" device (you might want to target "32 GB", "64 GB", etc., if you install a lot of software).  I then put 2.5" SATA trayless bays in all of my computers.  This makes it easy to move OS instances to other machines (subject to BIOS/UEFI compatibility), to clone images to additional devices (USB flash drives, HDD's, SD cards), and to take and store images on a regular basis for disaster preparedness/ recovery.  I would then wipe the 1 TB HDD's and build a ZFS pool using the HDD's as a mirror.  A surplus of memory will help ZFS performance.  For further ZFS improvements, add small/ fast/ high endurance NVMe devices as ZFS cache and/or log devices.

David

One of the things apparently missing in today's support for the arm64 boards such as the bananapi-m5, is the lack of support for the nvme memory on some of these devices. I have quite a few of them, all booting and running from 64G micro-sd's. Yet these all have, soldered to the board, several gigs of nvme memory, more that enough to contain a full desktop install with all the toys, but totally unused.

So my question is, when do we get support for using it? It is reported to be several times faster than the u-sd's its running from now. u-sd's touted to do 100mhz/second, but generally can only do less than 20 megs/second in actual practice. So what plans are in place to use this memory on the arms, that we users can look fwd to?

Thank you.
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)