Re: Bash invocation, was Re: 60-serial.rules, broken

On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 09:25:25AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/9/23 07:33, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Finally, remember that .xsession is run by /bin/sh, not by your login
> > shell.  So, if you've got bash syntax in .profile (or anything it dots
> > in, such as .bashrc), then you cannot safely dot it in from .xsession.
> >
> > .
> Apparently this last is true. I put it as next to last line in
> /etc/X11/Xsession and killed everything I had running but did let me exec a
> new xfce4 terminal, which did not get the fix so fixed it back to original
> but still had to reboot.

I would NOT advise modifying the files in /etc/X11, especially if you
aren't 100% sure what you're doing.  There are lot of subtle and delicate
moving parts in there.

Whatever you end up doing to get your PATH set properly at login should
happen only in your $HOME directory.

Start with .xsessionrc (the Debian hack) and see if that works.  Put a
PATH modification in there, and also put something like

export GENETEST=hello

and see if that's present in a shell inside a newly spawned xterm.
If it is, then you know that .xsessionrc is being read during login,
even if the PATH modification is lost.

If GENETEST is present but the PATH modification is not, then you know
something's changing your PATH after .xsessionrc has been read.  In that
case you need to track it down inside your desktop environment.

If neither one is present, then you're not using a Debian X session.

Whatever the results are, you'll have learned *something*.