Re: Debian USB Wifi

On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 07:57:38AM -0400, Celejar wrote:

[...]

> I know that the subject mentions USB, but I was responding to Stefan's
> statement regarding "USB or otherwise." He's basically correct, of
> course, that there are *virtually* no modern WiFi cards of any sort
> that are supported by totally free drivers / firmware, but there are
> apparently at least a few that do support 11ac (I'm not sure if there
> are any at all that support 11ax).

No first hand experience, mind you -- but this is what my trusty
search engine finds:

  https://www.phoronix.com/news/Realtek-802.11ax-rtw89

TL;DR Realtek contributed a free software driver for the kernel, rtw89,
which was supposed to support Realtek's 11ax line. and aimed at kernel
5.16.

This was 2021, no idea how that turned out :)

Might help someone.

Cheers