Re: 10 year old machines are slow (was: A hypervisor for a headless server?)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > The most recent general-purpose Intel CPU without VT-X is from 2012.
> [...]
> > *everything* on processors that old is slow.
>
> Actually, for many (most?) single-threaded applications, I wouldn't be
> surprised if some 2010 CPUs end up within a factor 3 of the most badass
> desktop you can find today.

In 2010, Intel released the i7-930. The i7-975 was released in June
of 2009. In March of 2010, the flagship for speed was the Xeon X7542,
but that's a server CPU.

In 2010, AMD was not competitive with Intel per-core, so we can
ignore them.

PassMark's single thread benchmark is currently won by the Intel
i9-13900ks - score 4796.

The i7-930 gets a 1271

The i7-975 gets a 1489

The Xeon X5698 -- not releases until 2011, but I can't find a
benchmark for the X7542 -- gets a 1922. It's also a server CPU,
not a desktop.

 4796 / 1489 = 3.22

I will admit that this is a synthetic benchmark. It is not my
synthetic benchmark, and a mistake I made earlier led me to
write up an admission that you were right -- until I realized
that I had been looking at the multicore benchmarks of all the
older CPUs, not the single thread.

3.22 is pretty close to 3x, though. It seems likely that if you
had a single-threaded task that didn't rely on RAM bandwidth or
disk latency or bandwidth, you would actually see just a 3x
difference by 2 years later in fairly mainstream CPUs - an
i5-2550, for example.

-dsr-