Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

- if bhyve fits your needs, why not run FreeBSD and bhyve?

I use Linux (+ qemu and kvm) and FreeBSD (with bhyve) depending what OS between these allows me to perform a task faster and better.

- Look at Xen history, you'll see that it started in the mid 2000s.

I like Xen,I've used it for several months,but then I stopped using it because on Linux I prefer qemu and kvm and on FreeBSD no one is interested in maintaining Xen anymore. Everyone says that it is superated.

- And then, why not vmm, openBSD's virtual machines ?

I tried it,but I prefer bhyve. It has more functions and above all,the passthru of my graphic card works on a Linux vm. vmm does not support it.

- But I think xen will run on some older hardware that kvm doesn't.

I think that bhyve is better than xen. So on FreeBSD I use bhyve and on linux I use qemu+kvm,just because I have a recent hardware. On the old PC I have installed FreeBSD and I use bhyve.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 6:54 PM Tim Woodall <debianuser@woodall.me.uk> wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jun 2023, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 11:09:36AM +0200, Paul Leiber wrote:
>> +1 for Xen, AFAIK the standard apt installation doesn't include any
>> management GUI.
>>
>> This is the howto which helped me getting started:
>>
>> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide
>
> I don't recommend xen for new projects. It has more pieces and tends to be
> more fragile than qemu+kvm, for no real benefits these days. (IMO)

I'm heavily invested in xen but I'd second this. One of my projects for
this year is to move to kvm.

But I think xen will run on some older hardware that kvm doesn't
support.

--
Mario.