Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unanswered several times.

On 4/30/23, gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I have a mixed home network, some buster, some bullseye, all up to date
> a/o yesterday.
>
> I have 2 printers shared on this bullseye main box, available as 5 or 6
> printers, each configured in cups to do a specific job. Good printers,
> both running on brother's own linux drivers for that printer.
>
> All my buster machines can use both of these printers just as if they
> were plugged into that machine, but a machine shop full of sawdust and
> metal shavings is not a good printer environment, even if there was room
> for them, which there isn't.
>
> All of my bullseye machines are locked out, printer screen at
> localhost:631 is empty, and no printers can be found and added.
>
> But open a shell, and type "lpstat -t" and it gets the full list of
> available printers on that same bullseye machine whose cups output is
> empty.
>
> Why?

Take a look at
  https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSQuickPrintQueues

The quick ref is to install avahi-utils and run
  avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp  | grep URF

If you get a line matching URF the printer supports the AirPrint
service.  Install cups and see if it works (which is all that I needed
to do to get the printer working).  If no, what does

  avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp

and

  systemctl status avahi-daemon

show you?