Re: how to change default nameserver?

On 11 Apr 2023 19:09, gene heskett wrote:
On 4/11/23 10:04, zithro wrote:
On 11 Apr 2023 04:56, gene heskett wrote:
On 4/10/23 16:53, zithro wrote:
Why can't you follow others advice, hell, if you don't trust us, even the perfectly correct and up-to-date manpages ? After reading the posts of others, I'm more and more thinking your simply a troll (or a RedHat fanatic wasting Debian helpers time for no reason) ...

That is an insult. I bailed out of fedora 15 years ago, tired to being an always sick lab rat for redhat. [...]

Because you answer what you want, I'll re-ask :
"Why can't you follow others advice, hell, if you don't trust us, even
the perfectly correct and up-to-date manpages ?"

Because you answer what you want, I'll re-ask :
"Why can't you follow others advice, hell, if you don't trust us, even
the perfectly correct and up-to-date manpages ?"

If you don't know who Mike Sweet is, why are you hassling me?

I don't need to know who he is. Now I know, thanks, but it changes nothing.
And if Sweet is REALLY your friend, why not asking him ?

  There's 25 years of history to computing before Linus released his his linux

Computer history started WAY before that.

Keeping networking working on linux has been an art, not a science.

Debatable. The Debian way is one of the easiest.
But funny, only happens to you, among the zillions Debian-based installs.
Still can't see the problem ?

looking at one of my buster machines. /etc/network/interfaces has this:

What about your resolv.conf ?

So ATM I have no clue what I did because I've forgotten whatever I did

One of the best advice I've learnt from experienced sysadmins is :
"always take notes of what you're doing".
The other one being "RTFM".

[...] I can't ask cups, my posts to the cups list are apparently routed to /dev/null [...]

If you react like here, maybe you've been banned from there ?
Again, contact the list owners, don't ASSUME stuff.

[...] so I come here for help and all this dirty laundry gets drug out again. And again. And again. While the question I asked is very carefully ignored. Unreal.

Really ?! Who exactly is ignoring what ?!

Again, FOR THE FOURTH TIME :
"Why can't you follow others advice, hell, if you don't trust us, even
the perfectly correct and up-to-date manpages ?"

Others have warned me. I tried despite their warnings ...
I get to the same point as them : it's pointless to try to help
someone who does NOT follow advices.
I guess I'm done here.