Re: Which Diff tool could I use for visually comparing two text files where Word Wrap is possible?

On Sat, Apr 08, 2023 at 11:12:57PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:

> No, easier. I use Libre Office buttons for Left, Right, Centre or
> Justified alignment. No keystrokes. Only one Enter Key after a full
> stop, no space bar. But if Heading, then no full stop, no space bar,
> but only paragraph. No other use of Paragraph "Enter" key. As
> simplified as possible. In libreoffice I use Heading Levels to create
> Chapters, Sections, Sub-sections, et al. Very simple style, or no
> style at all.
>
> So the text file is all Left aligned in every paragraph.
>
> Just like I write my emails in plain text without Line Breaks. Google
> introduces the line breaks in every line. I don't. My text is
> free-flowing, no Line Breaks unless one paragraph or Title/Heading. As
> simple as can be.

Don't do that please. The mailing list Code of Conduct and other suggestions
within Debian suggest creating lines no longer than 72 characters. Line breaks
make things significantly easier to read as does breaking up large blocks
of text.

Likewise the references above from Gmail mails. Please don't - it means
that each of us has 13 lines of incomprehensibility repeated whenever
you reply to any mail. Jon Postel's suggestion to be strict in what
you put out and generous in what you accept is being stretched to the
limit here.

If all you are doing is comparing LibreOffice documents, use LibreOffice
document tracking to compare documents. When you deal with a (human) editor
who doesn't use LibreOffice, export it as a basic Word document and
reimport.

If that doesn't work then exchange basic text and use TeX to format the
output appropriately. Messing around with complex word-processing
documents and expecting to use diff to do this is probably the wrong way
round. You might *even* be better exchanging Markdown files and using git
to version track ...

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater