Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

On 4/2/23 23:48, Stanislav Vlasov wrote:
пн, 3 апр. 2023 г. в 09:23, <coreyh@free.fr>:
I think python3 is much different to python2, but it's still naming as
python.

Not so much different as perl5 vs raku. I'm not a programmer, but can
write large (more than 10kB) scripth, which can run with python2 or
python3 on different systems.
And I saw perl5 scripts from past (about 5.6 or lower), which can't
run on perl5 from current (5.22 or so at the moment).

The latest Perl stable release is 5.36.0:

https://www.cpan.org/src/README.html

I use the system Perl on my computers.  For Debian:

2023-04-03 00:04:32 dpchrist@taz ~
$ cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a
11.6
Linux taz 5.10.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

2023-04-03 00:04:38 dpchrist@taz ~
$ perl -v | head -n 2 | tail -n 1
This is perl 5, version 32, subversion 1 (v5.32.1) built for x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

I started on Perl 5.4. Perl introduced threads in 5.6 (technically 5.5, but that was a development branch and I use stable). Threads were redesigned in 5.8 and I use them. AIUI some features added in 5.10 and later must be explicitly enabled. I try to write Perl in 5.8 style, but may be using later features without realizing it. Perl has become faster and more robust over the years, and the syntax checking, warnings, error messages, and documentation have improved. I believe all of my production Perl scripts are I/O bound, not CPU or memory bound.

David