Re: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?

Oliver Schoede wrote:

> So is it still the first choice for sysadmin work on Linux?
> Well I doubt it, I also doubt it ever was. That would be
> shell. ;)

Indeed, I thought about that! The shell.

Side note, many guys say they only use sh because bash, zsh
etc requires them being installed, I don't see how that can be
problem on Unix systems. Of course, zsh can't be moved to
a computer without zsh itself, but how is that less portable
just because they add super-cryptic syntax to do fancy stuff?
I mean, it isn't the features we port, but the shell?

Maybe you guys know the answer to that, never understood it
and heard it from several guys.

> Be that as it may I don't see much of a reason for learning
> Perl today unless you're a die-hard hobbyist with near
> infinite amount of time and an undying penchant for
> obsolete technology.

Ikr? This is what I've been (trying) to say all the time ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal