Re: sleep on a low-usage NAS ?

On Tue, 2022-12-13 at 08:39 +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:
[...]
> Ideally, I'd like it to go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, but
> wake more or less instantly when a new smb connection is initiated.

Look at the -S option to the 'hdparm' command.

I find disks seem to occasionally forget their power settings, so I
reissue the command in my script that does some daily backup tasks.

[...]
> I need advice on what else I can do to keep the device with disks unspun
> for most of the day, yet still be available almost immediately when
> other clients on the LAN need some NAS services.

It won't be 'immediate' as it takes time for the motor to get a disk
spinning at the correct speed, about 3 seconds for my 3 inch drives.

--
Tixy